I have found that one of the best things I can do for my body each day is to drink a glass of warm lemon water before I do anything else. I even drink it BEFORE I put my beloved coffee to my lips! That should tell you something.
Drinking lemon water has many health benefits, but for me, the most important is how it helps flush out my liver, which is the body’s filter. By flushing your liver, it gives it the opportunity to work at an optimal level to remove toxins. Other benefits include proper kidney and digestive tract function.
Just do it, you will thank me later.
How and When to Drink Lemon Water
Each morning, before you put anything else in your mouth drink 4-6 ounces of purified warm water and add either 1-2 drops of lemon essential oil or 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
11 Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water First Thing Every Morning
1. Flush the liver. Drinking lemon water creates more enzymes allowing the body to properly cleanse itself flushing out unwanted toxins.
2. Reduces inflammation. It is great for joints and pain, because it helps reduce inflammation in the body. Lemon water helps with respiratory tract infections, inflamed tonsils and sore throat due to the high anti-inflammatory properties of lemon.
3. Hydrates. Water with lemon is full of electrolytes, which provides your body with more calcium, magnesium and potassium.
4. Aids in digestion. Lemon contains citric acid, which helps stimulate the secretion of gastric juices for digestion and aids in natural bowel movement.
5. Weight loss. Lemon aids in boosting the metabolism and contains pectin fiber which helps suppress with food cravings.
6. Alkalizes the body. Lemon creates an alkalizing effect in the body, which helps your body fight diseases. Drinking lemon water before a meal can raise your PH level which supports your body’s natural immune response. In addition, studies prove that more alkalized bodies, are able to lose weight faster.
7. Lowers blood pressure. A daily dose of lemon water aids in decreasing high blood pressure by 10%, and helps cleanse the blood, blood vessels and arteries.
8. Better skin. Water hydrates the skin, plumping it up and pushing out wrinkles, but the Vitamin C in lemon cleanses the skin, allowing it to glow the way it was meant to. Drinking 64oz+ of water daily is a sure fire way to take years off your looks.
9. Aids Depression. Lemon water is full of potassium which aids the nervous system, the body needs potassium to send signals to the heart. Anxiety and depression are often caused by low levels of potassium in the blood.
10. Relieves heartburn. Drink a half glass of water with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (or 2 drops lemon essential oil) to reduce heart burn symptoms quickly.
11. Fights cancer. As we said above, lemon is alkalizing, multiple studies have shown that cancer can not thrive in a high PH (alkalized) environment.
What do you do daily to help keep your body healthy? I would love to hear from you!